Jim Santangelo, owner and educator of the Wine Academy of Utah providing internationally recognized wine & spirits certification and celebrating 20 years in food & beverage industry, invites you to join him on an unforgettable journey to the riches of the ancient land of Scotland. Let’s scale Edinburgh’s Royal Mile with our local guide Bill Hill, visit the university town of St. Andrews (the birthplace of golf), travel north to the Highlands and unpack in the whisky capital of the world. With the help of our local friend Michelle Myron, you will taste your way through Scotland’s geography via whisky and food.
This fully guided tour takes you on a grand journey through Scotland, starting in Edinburgh to the Highlands around Aberlour and Dufftown, to Inverness in the north and back to Edinburgh. You will dance and sing with locals, hear Scottish folklore first-hand, tour distilleries and get a true sense what Scotland is today. If so inclined, you might even get a chance to fly-fish on rivers Spey and Fiddich, or swing a club on one of Scotland’s nicest golf courses. Part of the trip is to learn about scotch, or the “water of life” as our friends like to say. Jim will introduce you to the art of nosing and tasting whisky right at the source of numerous distilleries. We will pair Scottish food to this spirit, learn how it’s made and get some secrets of the trade. By the time you leave for home, you will be well-versed in all that is Scotch whisky and ready to impress friends and family at home!
Trip Highlights Include:
- A fully guided tour of Edinburgh, the heart of the Highlands, and the capital of the Highlands, Inverness
- Visits to seven of the most astonishing castles of Scotland, including Edinburgh, Dunnottar, Ballindalloch, Balvenie, Auchindoun, Urquhart Castle, and Inverness Castle
- 11 nights accommodations at centrally located boutique hotels, with breakfast included
- Fully guided access to a large number of the most prestigious distilleries, as well as gems of Scotch you have never heard of, or never could afford to sip (see Itinerary for details)
- 10 hand-picked culinary highlights for lunch or dinner and all breakfasts provided (19 meals total)
- All scheduled museum visits, distillery visits and tastings, local guides, ground transportation to and from scheduled events and excursions as well as all tips included in tour price
- Local dance and music performances in the Highlands, local craftsman visits as well as some of the most amazing hikes you might ever take
- An option to go fly-fishing on the river Spey and/or Fiddich, or playing a round of golf at the Dufftown Golf Club, one of Scotland’s finest, all in the heart of malt whisky country*
- A day-trip to Glasgow, including visits to Glasgow Cathedral, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and Sauchiehall Street
*Options this day: Fly Fishing with Dennis (£25), Golf at Dufftown (£20 – includes clubs and tuition), Manager’s Tour of BenRiach Distillery (£25), Glen Grant Distillery & Victorian Gardens Tour (£9)
Photos courtesy Judy Kiel